Punishment given in Naraka
|Thamisra||Stealing other’s property including wife, children and belongings||Thrashing with the weapon, gada|
|Andhathamisra||Post marital cheating between husband and wife||Unconscious circulation in abyss|
|Rourava||Destroying, splitting other’s family and their belongings||Spanking the Life organs with trident by Yama kinkaras|
|Maharourava||Brutally destroying other’s property and family for the sake of acquisition||A wild animal, Ruru, tortures them in various forms|
|Kumbhipaka||Destroying innocent lives for food||Roasting in hot oil tank by yama kinkaras|
|Kalasuthra||Torturing and putting elders & parents in starvation||Same set of treatment in hell|
|asipathra||Abetting God and devolve from Dharma practices||Torture by evil spirits; results in fear|
|Sukaramukha||Punishing innocent people and accomplice unlawful activities||Grinding under the sharp teeth of an animal resembling pig|
|Anthakoopa||Torturing lives and inhumane activities||Biting by wild animals; Run over by wild animals|
|Agnikunda||Snatching other’s property by force, gaining undue advantage and unlawfully making best out of everything in the world||Roasting in agni kunda in inverted position with hands and legs ties under a stick|
|Vajrakandaka||Unchaste people in physical contact with unmatching people||Physical hugging with fire spitting idols|
|Krimibhojana||Selfish survival; eating other’s work||Insects are left intruding the body|
|Salmali||Unchaste relationships by kamukas||Thrashing with gada|
|Vaitharani||Using official stature to attain undue advantage, acting against dharma||Submerging in Vaitarna river where water is mixed with blood, urine and feces|
|Puyoda||Shameless behaviour, mixing with unchaste women & leading the life without any motive||Biting by poisonous insects and animals|
|Pranarodha||Torturing lives and killing them||Spanking the Life organs with arrows by Yama kinkaras|
|Pasusava||Torturing cows (in which are all devatas)||Slashing by canes|
|Sarameyadana||Gutting houses, torturing lives, poisoning lives, involving in massacre||Torture by unknown wild animals|
|Aveechi||Giving false evidence||Submerging and torturing in livebodies|
|Paribathana||Drinking and making others drink alcohol||Drinking lava|
|Ksharakarddama||Involving in bad activities and defaming elders and living with selfish motives||Torture the Life organs by unknown spirits|
|Rakshogana||Performing naramedha yaga, eating non vegetarian dishes and torturing soft animals||The same victims torture the hecklers|
|Shulaprota||Killing innocent people, masterminding people, committing suicide and betraying a person’s trust.||Unknown birds peck and torture with shula|
|Suchimukha||Not doing any good, amassing wealth by wrong doings and stealing wealth||Stinging with nails and torturing with hunger and thirst|
|Kunthasootha||Not doing any good and always doing bad to others||Stinging by insects like scorpions|
|Vadaroga||Severely torturing living beings||Handcuffed and burnt in fire|
|Paryavarthana||Defaming guests and not treating them||Torturing with hunger and thirst|
|Lalabhakshaka||Torturing wife / husband and involving her / him in unchaste relationships||Same set of treatment in hell|
Sinners are sent to the Various Narakas(Hells) by Yamadharma according to their nature and seriousness of their Sins. There is a total of 28 Narakas. They are:–
(1) Tamisram(Heavy flogging)-Those who rob others of their wealth are bound with ropes by Yama’s Servants and cast into the Naraka known as Tamisram. There, they are given a thrashing until they bleed and faint. When they recover their senses, the beating is repeated. This is done until their time is up.
(2) Andhatamtrsam(Flogging)-This Hell is reserved for the Husband or the Wife who only treat their spouses well when they are to profit or pleasure to them. Those who forsake their wives and husbands for no apparent reasons are also sent here. The punishment is almost the same as Tamisram, but the excruciating pain, suffered by the victims on being tied fast, makes them fall down senseless.
(3) Rauravam(torment of snakes)– This is the hell for sinners who seize and enjoy another man’s property or resources. When these people are thrown into this hell, those whom they have cheated, assume the the shape of “Ruru”, a dreadful serpent. The serpent(s) will torment them severely until their time is up.
(4) Mahararuravam(death by snakes)– Here there is also Ruru serpents but more fiercer. Those who deny the legitimate heirs, their inheritance and possess and enjoy others property will be squeezed and bitten non stop by this terrible serpents coiling around them. Those who steal another man’s wife or lover will also be thrown here.
(5) Kumbhipakam(cooked by oil)– This is the hell for those who kill animals for pleasure. Here oil is kept boiled in huge vessels and sinners are plunged in this vessels.
(6) Kalasutram( Hot as hell)– This hell is terribly hot. Those who don’t respect their elders esp. when their elders have done their duties are sent here. Here they are made to run around in this unbearable heat and drop down exhausted from time to time.
(7) Asitapatram(sharp flogging)– This is the hell in which sinners abandon one’s own duty. They are flogged by Yama’s Servants with whips made of asipatra (sharp-edged sword-shaped leaves). If they run about under the flogging, they will trip over the stones and thorns, to fall on their faces. Then they are stabbed with knives until they drop unconscious, When they recover, the same process is repeated until their time is up in this Naraka.
(8)Sukaramukham(Crushed and tormented)– Rulers who neglect their duties and oppress their subjects by misrule, are punished in this hell. They are crushed to a pulp by heavy beating.When they recover, it is repeated until their time is up.
(9) Andhakupam( Attack of the animals)- This is hell for those who oppress the good people and not helping them if requested despite having the resources. They will be pushed into a well, where beasts like Lions, tigers, eagles and venomous creatures like snakes and scorpions. The sinners have to endure the constant attacks of this creatures until the expiry of the period of their punishment.
(10) Taptamurti( Burnt Alive)– Those who plunder or steal Gold and jewels are cast into the furnaces of this Naraka which always remains hot in blazing fire.
(11) Krimibhojanam(Food for worms)– Those who do not honour their Guests and make use of men or women only for their own gain, are thrown into this Naraka. Worms, insects and serpents eat them alive. Once their bodies are completely eaten up, the sinners are provided with new bodies, which are also eaten up in the above manner. This continues, till the end of their term of punishment.
(12) Salmali(Embracing hot images)-This Naraka is intended for men and women who have committed adultery. A figure made of iron, heated red-hot is placed there. The sinner is forced to embrace it, while Yama’s servants flog the victim behind.
(13) Vajrakantakasali-(Embracing sharp images)– This Naraka is the punishment for Sinners who have unnatural intercourse with animals. Here, they are made to embrace iron images full of sharp diamond needles that pierce through their bodies.
(14) Vaitarani(River of Filth)– Rulers who abuse their power and adulterers are thrown here. It is the most terrible place of punishment. It is a river which is filled with human excreta, blood, hair, bones, nails, flesh and all kinds of dirty substances. There are various kinds of terrible beasts as well. Those who are cast into it are attacked and mauled by these creatures from all sides. The sinners have to spend the term of their punishment, feeding upon the contents of this river.
(15) Puyodakam (Well of hell)- This is a well filled with excreta, urine, blood, phlegm. Men who have intercourse and cheat women with no intention of marrying them are considered like animals. Those who wander about irresponsibly like animals are thrown in this well to get polluted by it’s contents. They are to remain here till their time is up.
(16) Pranarodham (Piece by Piece)– This Naraka is for those who keep dogs and other mean animals and constantly hunt and kill animals for food. Here the servants of Yama, gather around the sinners and cut them limb to limb while subjecting them to constant insult.
(17) Visasanam(Bashing from Clubs)– This Naraka is for the torture of those rich people who look down at the poor and spend excessively just to display their wealth and splendour. They have to remain here at the whole term of their punishment where they will be bashed non stop from heavy clubs from Yama’s Servants.
(18) Lalabhaksam-(River of semen)– This is the Naraka for lustful men. The lascivious fellow who makes his wife swallow his semen, is cast into this hell. Lalabhaksam is a sea of semen. The sinner lies in it, feeding upon semen alone until his period of punishment.
(19) Sarameyasanam(Torment from dogs)– Those guilty of unsocial acts like poisoning food, mass slaughter, ruining the country are cast into this hell. There is nothing but the flesh of dogs for food. There are thousands of dogs in this Naraka and they attack the sinners and tear their flesh from their bodies with their teeth.
(20) Avici( turned into dust)– This Naraka is for those who are guilty for false witness and false swearing. There are hurled from a great height and they are utterly smashed into dust when they reached the ground. They are again restored to life and the punishment is repeated till the end of their time.
(21) Ayahpanam(Drinking of burning substances)– Those who consume alcohol and other intoxicating drinks are sent here. The women are forced to drink melted iron in liquid form, whereas the men will be forced to drink hot liquid molten lava for every time they consume a alcoholic drink in their earthly lives.
(22) Raksobjaksam(Revenge attacks)– Those who do animal and human sacrifices and eat the flesh after the sacrifice will be thrown in this hell. All the living beings they killed before would be there and they will join together to attacking, biting, and mauling the sinners. Their cries and complaints would be no avail here.
(23) Sulaprotam(Trident Torture)– People who take the lives of others who have done no harm to them and those who deceives others by treachery are sent to this “Sulaportam” hell. Here they are impaled on a trident and they are forced to spend their whole term of their punishment in that position, suffering intense hunger and thirst, as well as enduring all the tortures inflicted on them.
(24) Ksharakardamam(hanged upside down) -Braggarts and those who insult good people are cast into this hell. Yama’s servants keep the sinners upside down and torture them in many ways.
(25) Dandasukam(eaten alive)– Sinners who persecute others like animals will be sent here. There are many beasts here. They will be eaten alive by this beasts.
(26) Vatarodham(weapon torture)– This hell is for those who persecute animals which live in forrests, mountain peaks and trees. After throwing them in this hell, sinners are tortured with fire, poison and various weapons during their time here in this Naraka.
(27) Paryavartanakam( torture from birds)– One who denies food to a hungry person and abuses him is thrown here. The moment the sinner arrives here ,his eyes are put by being pierced the beaks of birds like the crows and eagles. They will be pierced later on by this birds till the end of their punishment.
(28) Sucimukham(Tortured by needles)- Proud and Miserly people who refuse to spend money even for the basic necessities of life, like better food or buying food for their relations or friends will find their place in this hell. Those who do not repay the money they have borrowed will also be cast into this hell. Here, their bodies will be constantly be pricked and pierced by needles.
All the chapters of Garuda puranam is available here :- Garuda Purana
Sinners who have committed more than one of the sins listed above will be sent to all the various hell. once their period for one ends, the other will begin. Some of these Narakas have different punishments for the same sins. In the case of Adultery, sinners will go through all the levels of Narakas intended for the sin of Adultery
Narada – >
Those persons who are omniscient, who are conversant with the principles of creation and annihilation, who see everything and who are devoid of passionate attachment to anything are released from the bonds of karma.
Those who do not injure anybody or anything, whatsoever, mentally, verbally or physically and those who are not involved in anything are not bound by karma.
Those who refrain from violence to living beings, who possess good conduct and mercifulness, and who have equanimity to others’ hatred and love are released from the bonds of karma. They have self-control.
Those who are merciful to living beings, who are worthy of being trusted by living creatures and who have eschewed violent activities go to heaven.
Those who are indifferent to others’ assets, who always avoid other men’s wives and who enjoy the riches virtuously acquired by them go to heaven.
Those men who always associate with other men’s wives as though they were their own mothers, sisters and daughters go to heaven.
Those who cling to their own wives, who carnally approach them only during the prescribed period after the days of menstruation and who never indulge themselves in vulgar lechery go to heaven.
Those who desist from stealth, who are content with their own wealth and who enjoy their own good luck go to heaven.
Those who view other men’s wives with eyes enveloped by chastity, who have conquered their sense organs and who value good conduct very much go to heaven.
Garuda Purana:- The Garuda Purana Translated by Ernest Wood and S.V. Subrahmanyam  The text has been reformatted and rearranged at Hinduwebsite.com by Jayaram V. Part of the blog was taken from that site. If there is any offense occur then this blog will be removed. This text is in the publicdomain in the United States because it was published prior to January 1st, 1923. These files may be used for any non-commercial purpose, provided this notice of attribution is left intact in all copies.